Friday, July 13, 2012

Storms

There was a storm today. It came like a ninja – Silent and Sudden and Deadly. It was over in twenty minutes but up until that point I was afraid I would die as the building imploded under the load of rain and falling trees. Afterward, when the rain had mostly stopped and the sky lightened, I went outside because the power was out. Amazing things happen when electricity disappears. Everyone was outside. People were social, milling about talking to folks. A young couple was taking a walk in the rain and jumping in large puddles. A few other folks were clustered around a tree that had fallen on a trio of cars. Everyone was talking and laughing and children were playing. It felt like Utopia. It wasn’t a writerly moment at all. It was full of cliché’s and cheesy happiness: Pardon me while I puke. Still, I had been sitting at the computer all day waiting for inspiration to strike me and it didn’t even come close until the storm.

No power = sudden cheesy happiness? Makes me wonder if we, in all the glory of technology, have lost something vital to our humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment