Thursday, July 19, 2012

Dreams

Today has been mostly uneventful. I’m preparing to move tomorrow, so much of what I own is in storage. The monkish living is a truly strange experience. If you haven’t tried it you should. Just pack everything up, stick it in the garage, and live in your empty house or apartment for a week. You will begin to feel closer to the Buddha and enlightenment and then you begin jonesing for your television or your sock puppets and you will run to the garage and retrieve all your beloved possessions and vow never to think of the Buddha or enlightenment again.

Anyway, I had strange, detailed dreams last night that left me feeling strange once I had awoken. I don’t specifically remember the dreams now but it got me thinking on the topic. I have intense, detailed dreams all the time. They are usually complete with plot and conflict and characters and rife with emotions. They even come in color!  I wish I could remember the dreams and use them in my work but alas they leave me when I wake. I think I want to write something about dreams or the dream world. I just haven’t decided what that will be.

Do any of you have strange dreams that linger with you after you wake up? Do you dream in color or black and white? Do you think dreams have meaning or do you think they are just random neurological firings?

3 comments:

  1. I constantly have really bizarre and life like dreams. Usually I can remember them in the morning, but I don't always want to because a lot of times they are not useful/beneficial/happy. But I do believe dreams can help guide us and I read that dreams are believed to have been used to prevent ancient peoples from attacks by saber-tooth tigers and the like. So essentially dreams are protective devices that can help us prepare for scary school meetings, new days, and random things. I guess this means anxiety dreams are good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to agree. I certainly don't think that dreams are always significant but I am positive they can be.

    ReplyDelete