Friday, July 27, 2012

De-stressed Living

It's been about a week since my last post. It's shameful, I know. I spent the first part of that week moving my possessions to Wichita and the middle of the week working. Now it is the weekend again and I am feeling tired and guilty that I've been putting off writing. To make up for it, I wrote for a long time today. For the first time in several weeks I felt a bit inspired. In reality my inspiration is probably not inspired at all but, hush, I don't want anyone to burst my bubble quite yet.
I've also been reading a lot. Or, more accurately, I've been researching. You see, I am whole-heartedly on the organic-green-conservation-natural-clean-living bandwagon and my research this week has been all about living chemical free. That's not what this post is about, though. Nor is this post about organic raw honey or intentional obsolescence, my other two recent obsessions (did you know companies manufacture printers with microchips that shut the printer down after a certain number of uses so that you go out and buy a new one??? Seriously -- Google it).
THIS POST IS JUST ABOUT LIVING

You see, I've thought a lot about living recently and I think that many people don't embrace real life enough. In our hyper-technological fast-paced society, we've reduced living to internet, television, video games, and fast food. We live with a faster/newer-is-better mentality. we crave instant gratification. This mentality permeates everything our society is about. We want faster cars, the most fashionable clothes, the newest computers, iPads, software, video games. We build up stress with our busy lives and then medicated with cutting edge pharmaceuticals so we can stress some more. Somehow we associate these things with success and we tell ourselves we're living.

I'm joining a revolt. I would start one but it's already been started. I'm not revolting against technology; I'm revolting against the modern mentality. The more-more-more lifestyle leaves me feeling empty. I'm turning my attention to new things. The funny thing is, the new things happen to be old.

OLD REMEDIES AND OLD SOLUTIONS

When I get away from modern materialism, I spend more time with my family and friends. I spend more time outdoors. I'm happier and less stressed. I'm healthier. I write more.

It is a challenge in modern America to get away from the modern mentality of speed-speed-speed and instant gratification -- it is everywhere we look. Most of the people we know probably live that way. We see it on the streets and in the stores and on television. Everywhere we are challenged to buy this product, drive this car, or solve all our ailments with a host of medications recommended by 4 out of 5 doctors.

SO WHAT CAN WE DO?

There are a lot of small things we can do to slow our lives down and de-stress without giving up "normal."

1. Be Active
We all know activity is healthy for your body but it is healthy for your mind to. Make a goal to be active every day. You can walk a mile at lunchtime or do yoga in the morning or even just dance naked around your living room to polka music -- whatever floats your boat. Just make sure it's fun and get's you moving. You'll feel your mood lift and that stress headache you've been fighting might just melt away.

2. Schedule some "me" time every day.
brew some chamomile tea and read a book or just go for a walk in the park. Do something relaxing and fun and do it alone. This helps me tremendously with mental clarity and resets my emotions, especially if I've had a particularly stressful day.

3. Meditate
I do this a lot. Not full out monk medication in lotus position, intoning "Ohm," but something much simpler and still positive. Most often I do breathing meditation. I do it in the car or at work or right before a big meeting -- whenever I'm feeling stressed and overwhelmed. It helps to center me and calms me down when I'm nervous or stressed. It will help you too, just to slow down for a moment and regroup. Stop and just breathe. In. Out. In. Out.

To do this, close your eyes and breath in through your mouth. Breath slowly and deeply. Exhale through your nose. Repeat. Concentrate on the breathing and relax.

That's it! Easy, huh? Just a couple simple things can set you on the path to a healthier, less stressful, more connected you!

For more tips and information on meditation, check out this page: http://www.how-to-meditate.org/breathing-meditations.htm/

4. Garden
Not only is gardening better for you nutritionally, it is therapeutic. In fact, many mental institutions use gardening as a therapy tool and you should too! If you don't want a vegetable garden, that's OK. you can plant flowers, herbs, or whatever you want!

Don't have room? Sure you do! You can plant a little herb garden in a few glass jars and set them on your window sill -- Or do something clever like this blogger.
http://www.crunchybetty.com/tuesdays-outside-the-box-jars-and-small-space-gardening

WHAT ELSE?

Do you have a de-stress tip or a better-living tip to share? Let me know!






No comments:

Post a Comment